Character creation guidelines
More detail is in other sections, but this is a quick overview. If you’re desperate to play something that’s “banned,” we can probably work it out. I’m happy to make exceptions for really cool stories, esp. ones that add to the game.
On a general note, you are unusual in being adventurers—there aren’t a lot of people with classes running around out there.
I’ve found the Character Builder particularly useful for many things, particularly playing around with abilities. You can also use it to advance your character to level 3, so it’s a handy way to get started.
Some of the things below (e.g. some multiclass skills) note that you need to have special study, training, or experiences to have them. Since you’re 7th level, you can probably justify one or more of these from your character’s previous experiences.
- Ability scores: use method 1 or 2. Keep in mind that other combinations are possible besides the ones listed.
- Alignment: Lawful Good, Good, or Unaligned. No Evil or Chaotic Evil characters.
- Races: Any except eladrin. Tieflings, dragonborn, elves, half-elves, deva, and dwarves are different sub-races of humans for purposes of flavor and appearance, but the mechanics (abilities, feats, powers) are the same as the PHB race. See the link for more details—or to add some!
- Classes: Martial or Primal. Arcane magic and its practitioners are shunned and/or destroyed on sight. While there are still stories of mighty artifacts and items, no one is around that knows the secrets of wizardly magic and clerics guard their power jealously.
- Not Allowed
- Skills: same as PHB, but Arcana can’t be trained. If it’s on your class’ list, replace it with a different skill that’s appropriate for your character’s background.
- Be sure to read the skill descriptions! They do all sorts of neat stuff, e.g. using Bluff to get combat advantage.
- Arcana can only be used if you have “ranks” in it, which can only be gained through study of books, magic items, ruins, etc., or with a mentor or experiences with elemental, fey, or shadow creatures (or the like). This is not generally available.
- Feats: most feats as normal, with some notes:
- Weapon and Implement Expertise (PHB2) are “built in” and thus unavailable separately. You automatically get a cumulative +1 feat bonus to your attacks at 5th, 15th, and 25th levels.
- Alchemist, from Adventurer’s Vault is available! Kind of like Ritual Caster, but lets you make alchemical items.
- Channel Divinity feats: pick from anything that makes sense, but once you pick one, subsequent CD feats must also be from the same “god.”
- Ritual Caster: not normally available, must be gained through special instruction. If your character has this as a class feature, take Alchemist or a Channel Divinity feat.
- Multiclass feats: multiclass feats for the classes in the “Not Allowed” section above are only available through special study and/or training. Everything else is as normal.
- Non-magical/-alchemical: whatever you’d like (within reason)
- Magic: one item of each of the following levels: 8th, 7th, 6th
- Gold: 1800 to “buy” alchemical or magic items, alchemical formulas, or rituals
- Note on magic items: with the rare exception, “magic” items should not be enchanted so much as made of unusual materials and/or unusual craftsmanship. Adventurer’s Vault has a lot of great stuff that’s easy to fit into this category. Also, magic items can increase in power, rather than needing to be replaced by new ones.